Dermal Filler For Lip Augmentation
Being female, we cannot compromise on our looks, especially when it comes to facial features. With that, the lip is one of the prominent features of the face. Hence, any type of misalignment around or on the lips can cause dissatisfaction, right?
But worry no more! If you have uneven, extremely thin lips or chin that is disturbing your smile or beauty, this article is for you. In this blog, we cover everything related to dermal fillers for lip augmentation. Moreover, we also discuss natural-looking lip fillers.
What Is Lip Augmentation?
Lip augmentation is also known as lip fillers, lip injections, or lip enhancement.
Lip augmentation is a cosmetic procedure designed to temporarily or semi-permanently improve the shape and size of your lips.
It helps give you fuller and plumper lips. Lip augmentation enlarges the lip by using dermal lip fillers.
Who Needs Lip Augmentation?
Lip augmentation is not a compulsory procedure and entirely depends on your cosmetic desires.
For example, some people are okay with thin lips and don’t bother getting lip augmentation done, which is totally fine. On the other hand, some are extremely cautious about their looks and prefer getting cosmetic procedures to enhance their beauty. Some prefer getting lip fillers for wrinkles.
Hence, the decision is desire-based, which can vary from person to person. However, you may be a good candidate for lip augmentation if:
- You have extremely thin lips that almost disappear when you smile.
- You think that lip augmentation will increase your confidence and self-esteem.
- Your lips make you uncomfortable.
- Full lips suit your facial structure.
- You have uneven lips.
- Your lips are too large for your face.
Who Performs Lip Augmentation?
Lip fillers are performed by experienced and licensed healthcare professionals. It is not advisable to get lip augmentation done by a random doctor or from a beauty parlor or regular day spa. You can search for lip enhancement near me or lip filler specialist near me to find out suitable places for lip filling near your area.
Who Should Avoid Lip Augmentation?
Make sure to consult your health professional to examine your overall condition before going for lip augmentation. You may not be fit for the procedure if you have any of the following conditions:
- Diabetes (increased blood sugar levels).
- Blood clotting problems
- Oral herpes infection or any other oral infections like mouth sores.
- If you are under the age of 21 years. Lip fillers are not approved for individuals below 21 years by the US FDA.
Also, tell your doctor about your previous and current allergies and the OTC, prescription, and herbal medications or supplements you use before undergoing the procedure.
This will prevent possible adverse and allergic reactions because your doctor might be using a filler you are allergic to, so it is essential to inform them beforehand.
Advantages and Disadvantages Of Lip Augmentation
Similar to every procedure, lip augmentation has its advantages and disadvantages.
The pros of lip augmentation include:
- Lip fillers naturally fill up your lip which helps tightens the skin around your lips.
- Your face looks firmer as wrinkles and fine lines are reduced.
- Lip augmentation is a non-surgical procedure.
- Dermal fillers stimulate collagen production. Collagen keeps your skin firm, maintains its structure, and repairs your skin.
- It creates a youthful appearance on your face.
- With lip fillers, you can decide how much lip volume you want. The number of fillers injected can be controlled based on how much lip volume you prefer on your lips.
- Lip augmentation is a quick procedure. It takes approximately 15 to 30 minutes to get the process done.
- The procedure is safe.
- The good news is if you don’t like your lips after the process, you can get it reversed! Lip fillers are reversible and can be removed through injections containing hyaluronidase. You can also inject a new filler into your lips after removing the previous one.
The cons of lip augmentation include:
- Mostly synthetic lip fillers are temporary, and you may need frequent treatments to get your desired look.
- You may experience redness and irritation during and after the procedure.
- Lip fillers don’t stop your aging process.
Cost of Lip Filler Injections
The average lip injections price ranges from $500 to $2000. However, the cost of lip enhancement depends on various factors, which include:
- Type of procedure performed
- Type of lip filler used
- The number of syringes injected
- Location of clinic
- Doctor’s experience
The cost of lip filler can vary from locality to locality. To find the price of lip injections near your area, you can search lip filler prices near me.
How Long Do Dermal Fillers Last?
It can vary from person to person. But normally, dermal fillers last between 6 to 12 months. Some can also last up to 2 to 5 years. How long dermal fillers last depends on your age, metabolism, and the type of filler you choose.
- Temporary fillers last between 6 months to 1 year.
- Semi-permanent fillers last between 2 to 3 years.
- Permanent lip filler lasts 10 years to a lifetime.
Types of Dermal Fillers For Lip Augmentation
There are two major types of lip fillers based on the kind of ingredient it incorporates. The types of lip fillers include:
- Hyaluronic acid lip fillers
- Collagen lip fillers
Hyaluronic acid and collagen are natural lip fillers as these ingredients naturally occur in our bodies.
1. Hyaluronic Acid Lip Fillers
This is the most common type of lip filler. It is effective, well-tolerated, and can provide immediate results. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally-occurring substance present in our body, especially in our skin. Hyaluronic acid is a humectant; hence, it retains moisture and lubricates the skin.
The two major benefits of hyaluronic acid lip injections include:
- It produces a quick lip filler and volumisation effect.
- It supports long-term collagen production to maintain the lip filler effect.
One disadvantage of hyaluronic acid lip fillers is that it is dissolved and absorbed by your body with time. Hence, you may need frequent treatments to maintain results.
Some best lip fillers containing hyaluronic acid are given below:
1) Juvederm Lip Filler
Juvederm lip filler contains hyaluronic acid. It effectively gives volume to the lips and mouth for treating wrinkles and fine lines. The gel consistency of Juvederm filler is smooth and malleable, which gives a natural-looking appearance to your face. You can search for Juvederm lip filler near me to get this procedure done near your area.
2) Restylane Kysse
Restylane Kysse lip filler is another dermal filler containing hyaluronic acid. Compared to Juvederm, it has a granular-like viscosity which keeps the product firm in its place. It adds volume to the lips and face and reduces wrinkles and folds. Restylane lip injections are designed to lift and plump your lips and smooth lines around your mouth.
3) Revance RHA Filler
Revance RHA filler is made from hyaluronic acid. Revance has RHA 2 for lips. Resilient hyaluronic acid (RHA) is a cosmetic filler injection that gives fullness to your lips and allows dynamic facial movements to promote a long-lasting and natural-looking appearance. RHA 2 is the best option for treating perioral lines and radial cheek lines.
2. Collagen Lip Fillers
Collagen lip fillers were used in the past for esthetic purposes. But after the development of hyaluronic acid fillers, their use has decreased.
These types of fillers rapidly give volume to your lips and face. They also promote collagen production to produce natural-looking and long-lasting results.
The collagen added in these fillers is derived from animals and has a risk of allergic reactions. It cannot be given to people who are allergic to bovine collagen.
How Is Lip Augmentation Done? Step-By-Step Procedure:
Here is how a lip filler procedure is performed:
Firstly, your doctor will apply topical anesthesia on your lips to numb the area. The anesthesia may contain lidocaine, benzocaine, or tetracaine.
You will have to wait a few minutes, so your lips get numb properly.
Next, your doctor will use a thin needle to inject the lip filler into your lips.
Lastly, your doctor may ask you to apply ice packs on your lips to prevent swelling and pain.
How to Promote Lip Healing After The Procedure?
For healing, your lip may require 24 to 48 hours or up to a week after the procedure. You may experience slight swelling and irritation, but it goes away with time. The following tips may help your lips heal faster:
- Avoid applying any product such as lipstick, lip balm, or any other cosmetic for up to 48 hours after the procedure.
- Frequently apply ice packs throughout the day for 10 minutes to soothe swelling, pain, and inflammation.
- Be careful while washing your face and brushing your teeth until your lip heals.
- Avoid touching or puckering your lips.
- Avoid sipping, using a straw, or applying pressure on your lips until healed.
- Avoid kissing.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Avoid exercising or engaging in any exerting activities for at least 24 hours after the procedure.
How to Plan a Safe Lip Augmentation Procedure for Yourself
Dermal fillers are safe if the entire procedure is appropriately planned. You must get authentic information about the process and your doctor before undergoing lip filling. Here are some questions you might ask your medical provider while planning the process and before going for the procedure:
- The qualification and experience of the healthcare provider undergoing the lip augmentation process.
- Information about the lip filler. For example, the product’s name, the type of filler, and where and how it is made.
- How many treatments/injections will you need?
- Is there any risk of side effects in that product?
- Is the process reversible? What will happen if it doesn’t work out for you?
- The cost of treatment.
- What to expect after the procedure? How long will it last?
- Is there any potential for risks or complications?
Asking these questions of your aesthetic medical provider will give you satisfaction and ensure a safe lip filler process. Do not proceed with the procedure until you get answers to all these questions and are satisfied with every piece of information. You can also ask any other query that you have in mind. Also, assure that the providers are registered healthcare professionals.
Dermal fillers are used for the face and lip. It is a cosmetic procedure designed to give volume to your lips and surrounding areas such as your cheeks. The process is safe and comprises natural ingredients.
However, it is crucial that a specialized licensed professional performs the procedure and makes you aware of the type of product being used and its risk factors.
I, Dr. Monica Carezani Gavin, owner and medical director of Azani Medical Spa in Bethlehem PA since 2005, specialize in dermal filler lip augmentation. I have been voted Best Aesthetic Injector by the Readers of the Morning Call Newspaper for many years. Azani Medical Spa has been voted Best Medical Spa as well. Trust all your Aesthetics and wellness needs to me and the highly experienced team of licensed medical professionals at Azani Medical Spa. View our website www.AzaniMedicalSpa.com, call us at 610-625-3000, text us at 610-625-3002, or email us at info@AzaniMedicalSpa.com