Peptides at Azani Medical Spa
Did you know that our body naturally produces peptides in various organs and tissues, and they are responsible for performing numerous bodily functions, like hormone regulation, cell signaling, and enzyme activity?
From muscle growth and repair to anti-aging effects and improving cognitive performance, peptides play an essential role in many physiological processes and are important for the proper functioning of the human body.
So, what are peptides? Peptides are short chains of amino acids, the basic building blocks of protein, and are linked together by peptide bonds.
Peptides are found in every living cell, and the synthesis of peptides occurs in various organs and tissues throughout the body. For example, insulin is a hormonal peptide produced in pancreatic beta cells. Neuropeptides, which function as neurotransmitters are synthesized in the neurons. They help stimulate many cognitive functions, like learning and memory, social behaviors, neuroprotection, and many more brain-related activities.
In this blog article, we will discuss all details of some essential medical peptides and neuropeptides, like Dihexa, Semax, Selank, DSIP, PT-141, and CJC1295, including what they are, who needs them, their benefits, doses, side effects, and more. So, let’s get started.
What Are Medicinal Peptides, And Why Do We Need Them?
So, the first question arises, why do we need to take any form of peptides? As we discussed, peptides are naturally produced in our body and are responsible for various body functions. Peptides are also present in some protein-rich foods, like meat proteins, eggs, milk, beans, lentils, flaxseed, and more.
However, peptide or protein deficiencies can lead to imbalances and disruptions in normal physiological processes, promoting the development of various diseases or problems, like neurotransmitter imbalances, hormone deficiencies, skin disorders, immune dysregulation, and more.
Synthetic peptides are created in laboratories to simulate the structure and functions of natural peptides, and we may need to take these peptides to restore proper body functioning.
What Are Neuropeptides, And Who Needs Them?
Neuropeptides are small proteins that act as chemical messengers between the nerve cells and the body to stimulate various functions, like regulating mood and emotions, sleep, stress responses, cognitive functions, and appetite.
Medicinal neuropeptides regulate the levels of the naturally occurring neuropeptides to improve certain conditions or symptoms that are associated with dysfunctions or imbalances in the nervous system.
For example, neuropeptides are indicated in patients with diseases that involve cognitive decline, like dementia, Parkinson’s disease, and Alzheimer’s disease, or to improve certain brain functions, like memory, learning, creative thinking, hyperactivity disorders, insomnia, and more.
Here are some common medicinal peptide drugs that are indicated to treat certain disorders discussed below.
Before proceeding to Dihexa, let’s start from scratch. Angiotensin is a peptide hormone and potent vasoconstrictor that occurs naturally in our body. Angiotensin 4, a metabolite or a derivative of the vasoconstrictor, angiotensin 2, controls or maintains the blood flow of the central nervous system, and enhances learning, memory, and developing skills.
In people with certain cognitive disorders like Alzheimer’s disease or dementia, the potent vasoconstrictor, angiotensin 4, may be derived outside the body into a medicinal drug, like Dihexa to treat cognitive diseases.
What Is Dihexa, And How Does It Work?
Dihexa, an oligopeptide drug, is derived from angiotensin 4. Studies have shown that Dihexa improved cognitive function in animal models with Alzheimer’s disease. Dihexa works by traveling through the blood-brain barrier, improving blood flow to the brain, and repairing individual neuronal connections in the brain.
Benefits Of Dihexa
As Dihexa penetrates the central nervous system to improve cognitive functions, it offers several benefits to the brain including:
- It helps improve memory and creative thinking and learning skills.
- It helps manage certain cognitive disorders, like depression, Alzheimer’s disease, and Parkinson’s disease.
- Dihexa boosts mental stamina.
- It helps improve conversational skills.
- Dihexa helps to enhance problem-solving skills.
Dihexa is available in 20 mg/gm topical gel/cream, powder, and capsule dosage forms, including 2 mg, 5 mg, 10 mg, and 25 mg capsules. Oral capsules and powders may not as effective as transdermal topical gel/creams.
Dose Of Dihexa
- The usual oral dose of Dihexa is 1 capsule daily, varying according to the patient’s condition and disease.
- The topical dose is 1-2 applications per day to the inner part of the forearm.
- The dose for Dihexa powder is 10-20 mg once a week.
- The common side effects of Dihexa may include:
- Change of taste
- Semax is another medicinal nootropic neuroprotective peptide that improves several cognitive functions, like memory formation, attention, and learning processes.It works by increasing Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor 1 (BDNF-1), a hormone involved in the maintenance and growth of the brain. Semax is sometimes given in combination with another neuropeptide drug, Selank.
Semax is commonly indicated for the following cognitive disorders:
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS)
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Parkinson’s disease
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Nerve regeneration
- Memory problems
- It helps enhance short-term memory, attention, and concentration.
- It increases the levels of happy neurotransmitters in the brain, like dopamine and serotonin.
- It helps improve recovery from stroke and traumatic brain injuries.
- Semax reduces blood clot formation and has fibrinolytic and antithrombotic effects.
Semax can be given through subcutaneous injection or nasal spray, as directed by the doctor.
- The recommended dose of Semax nasal spray is two sprays in each nostril once or twice daily.
- The typical dose of Semax subcutaneous injection is 100-300 mcg once daily.
Selank is a synthetic peptide nootropic drug, mainly taken for its pronounced anti-anxiety effects. The drug has also been shown to improve cognition, memory, learning, weakness, depression, and overall energy.
Benefits Of Selank
Selank helps to:
- Reduce anxiety
- Enhance learning and memory
- Reduces cholesterol and prevents weight gain.
- Strengthens immune functions by increasing an inflammatory protein, IL-6 in blood cells that helps fight infections.
- Aids in brain damage recovery
Selank is commonly administered by nasal spray or subcutaneous injection. The usual dosage for the nasal spray is one spray daily in each nostril, while the typical dose of Selank subcutaneous injection is 100-300 mcg once daily.
Delta sleep-inducing peptide, also known as DSIP, is a naturally occurring neuropeptide that is produced in our brain, mainly in the hypothalamus.
It is made up of nine amino acids and is used to help treat sleep disturbances, like insomnia (inability to sleep), restlessness, and irritability.
In addition to helping restore our sleep cycle, DSIP is also involved in the regulation and release of anterior pituitary hormones, like luteinizing hormone (LH) and growth hormone (GH). This helps treat low testosterone levels, increasing libido.
DSIP helps to:
- Promote better sleep.
- Reduce restlessness.
- Relieve physiological and emotional responses to stress.
- It helps restore disturbed sleep patterns.
- Increase the levels of luteinizing hormones and growth hormones.
Delta sleep-inducing peptides can be taken as a rapidly disintegrating tablet, a nasal spray or a subcutaneous injection. The neuropeptide is available as a lyophilized powder for injection which is reconstituted before use. The actual dose can vary depending on the disease and the patient’s condition.
PT-141, also known as Bremelanotide or Vyleesi, is a medical peptide therapy used to treat low sexual desire in men and women. It is commonly indicated in premenopausal women or people above the age of 40 years to increase sexual desire.
PT-141 directly works through the brain to increase desire, satisfaction, and arousal with sex. It also helps increase blood flow to the vagina and penis.
- It helps increase libido levels.
- Improves blood flow to the sexual organs.
- It strengthens penile erections.
- Mood enhancement.
- PT-141 helps increase sexual desire.
- It enhances satisfaction with sex.
Bremelanotide is commonly given through subcutaneous injection. The typical dose is up to 1.75 to 2 mg one hour before sexual activity.
CJ1295 is usually prescribed with Ipamorelin. It is a synthetic (man-made) growth hormone-releasing hormone analog, which is made of 30 amino acids.
CJC1295 acts on the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus to increase growth hormone and insulin-like growth factor secretion in the body, resulting in:
- Increased lean body mass and bone density.
- Improved energy and well-being.
- Body repair and recovery.
- Wound healing
- Improved sleep quality.
- Muscle development
- It also improves memory and cognitive skills.
CJ1295 is commonly given by subcutaneous injection, but are also available in rapid disintegrating tablets and transdermal cream. The usual dose of this medical peptide drug is 300 mcg per day on an empty stomach. You can take it 1 hour before or two hours after your meal.
Some common side effects include:
- Mild hypertension
Peptides are smaller versions of proteins, a naturally occurring substance in our body that controls many body functions. To restore any imbalances or dysfunctions in our body, medical peptides are highly effective, which regulate the levels of naturally occurring peptides, and help manage various diseases. The cost varies per peptide and route of administration.
Let Dr. Monica Gavin, Diplomate of the American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine, evaluate your medical needs and prescribe the peptide that best suits your needs. Dr. Gavin, owner of Azani Medical Spa for almost two decades, specialises in hormone and peptide replacement for any patients that live in Pennsylvania. Through virtual consultations, and shipping of your hormones and peptides to your home, it is easy to get your health and life back on track. Call us at 610-625-3000, Text us at 610-625-3002, email us at info@AzaniMedicalSpa.com
Visit our website AzaniMedicalSpa. Com to read more information from other blog articles. The office is located at 2551 Baglyos Circle Suite A18 Bethlehem PA 18020, but we provide care for all residents of Pennsylvania.